Thursday, April 9, 2015

deStijl Hotel - Gariep, Karoo, South Africa

While writing about my trip to Paris and various highlights I remembered that I was going to do the same with our trip to South Africa but have not done it yet.

For those of you who follow my blog, we spent 3 weeks in South Africa in December visiting friends and family and having a holiday too.  Our trip started in Jo'burg and we drove down to Kimberly, Outshoorn, the wilderness and Cape Town, and then on the way back we stopped just outside Colesburg and back to Jo'burg.

While I was looking for accommodation for the way back, most of the really nice hotels and B&B's were just so expensive especially as all you really want is a bed to lay your head on. 

I found the deStijl Hotel in the Karoo - Gariep, most of the time I don't read the review and go on instincts but this time I did a bit of research, some people liked it some people didn't but I thought we would give it a try.   We arrived late in the evening in December just before Christmas and the hotel was packed.  Some idiot in a big SUV had parked over 2 parking spaces and of course one of them was ours, however the hotel soon found the person and got them to park properly.

All I can say about this hotel is WOW it's like a 5 star haven in the middle of the desert, the cost for one night accommodation for 3 of us was R1,370 about €100 bed only.   For this we got a clean apartment type room, with a "mini" kitchen, two super king size beds and a beautiful bathroom with a rain shower, a humungous balcony that overlooked the Dam.

Not since our holiday in Zimbabwe have I seen so many Stars, there was nothing I could fault this hotel on, the food in the Restaurant was outstanding, the rooms so comfortable and the view just breath taking, I wish I could have stayed longer, I wish I could live there in this quiet peaceful haven.  I will go back and when I go back I will stay for longer. 

So if you are looking for somewhere to stay between Cape Town and Johannesburg, my recommendation is The deStijl Hotel, Gariep - but don't just stay for one night, stay for 2 or more and discover what the Karoo has to offer. 

No comments: